If you're like me, your skin has been feeling pretty dry lately. Cold weather and dry heat form the perfect recipe for dry, itchy winter skin. Here are some tips to help keep you skin moist, comfortable and fresh looking this winter.
1. Take warm, not hot showers. Your skin and your hair will thank you. I know on a cold morning, there is nothing more satisfying than a hot shower. However, this is one of the worst things you can do for dry skin. Water that is too hot only makes skin feel more dry and itchy. Hot water also makes your hair look dull and dry.
2. Get a humidifier. Heating systems in homes and offices dry out the air while they keep us warm. This causes dry skin for most people (and pets!) A humidifier can help bring back healthy moisture levels.
3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! It helps heal dry skin and keep it feeling comfortable. The best time to apply moisturizer is right after a shower, while your skin is still moist.
4. Drink a lot of water--it's important in all seasons and helps keep us healthy. In the winter, the water you drink contributes valuable moisture to your skin. You may find that if you drink six to eight glasses of water a day, your skin isn't nearly as dry as it used to be.
5. Add healthy fats to your diet. Olive oil, avocado, flaxseed, fatty fish (salmon especially) and nuts are all good sources. You can also take fish oil supplements. (Put fish oil capsules in the freezer so you don't burp them up later!)